Wednesday, June 3, 2009

34 weeks

In the past week or so I really have noticed a change in my belly. The top part really is getting rounder now, which is making it harder for me to move around as easily. It is very hard to bend over while sitting down. Click this link (http://obgyn.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=237&oTopID=237) to see a chart that shows how the uterus takes up more and more space inside the body cavity during pregnancy. When you go to the link, click on the "9 month miracle" section and then click the little picture where it says "Your baby's growth over 40 weeks." The "Fetal Development" chart will show the change as the weeks progess as you slide the little button at the bottom of the chart. It shows how much the other organs get cramped for space which is part of why things such as heartburn and constipation often occur during pregnancy. I went to my new doctor again yesterday. She told me that the baby is already in the right position for birth as of right now. I was able to feel where his tail bone was resting against the top part of my belly. She said that most of the time around now the baby will start to settle into his final position and most of the time they do not change positions drastically although it can still happen. I also learned that she does not do cesarians based on the baby being breach so even if he does turn, she will physically turn the baby for a regular birth. I was very happy to hear this! I really like my new doctor and am very comfortable with her.

Your pregnancy: 34 weeks

How your baby's growing:Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate his body temperature once he's born — are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.