Wednesday, May 20, 2009

32 weeks!

I am now only 2 months from the baby's due date! Although I am secretly hoping that he comes a week or two early. Not that I am counting on it since most first babies are late. Scott and I have hired a doula! She will come to our house when active labor starts (once contractions are regular) and be there with us through the birth. I decided to hire her because having a doula present at the birth lowers my chances for having a cesarian and also I think it will be helpful to have someone there for extra support through labor since doctors and nurses aren't there to "hold your hand" so to speak, they are really mostly there to make sure everything is going well medically.

I can't imagine how big my belly is going to get! I feel like it is getting bigger each week now. I have gained about 24 pounds which is on track with normal weight gain. I am really really keeping my fingers crossed that my feet don't spread. Apparently some women's feet spread, ie. get bigger and if this happens, it is a permanent change. So for the sake of my shoe collection I am really hoping that I avoid this one!

Here is the update on the baby:

Your pregnancy: 32 weeks
How your baby's growing:By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.